This week, MailChimp released details of their latest changes, many of them driven by user feedback:
1. My Campaigns and Favorites
Within “My Campaigns” you’ll now see little heart icons – after you mark a Campaign with a heart it will appear under “Favorites”. This was introduced to help people who tend to reuse the same campaign as a template for new ones.
Top Tip: The thumbnails under “My Campaigns” and “Favorites” have little magnifying glasses next to them – hover over one of them to quickly preview a campaign:
Recently, MailChimp made changes to make the software function better on mobile devices. Now they are working to make MailChimp usable on tablets, specifically mini tablets.
- 2. New Drag and Drop Modules
There are now two new content blocks in the drag and drop editor: Footer and Image Card.
Image Card – this is a container around an image, with a customisable background colour and a caption as in this example
Footer – previously, footers were locked at the bottom of each template. Now, MailChimp have made the footer a separate element which can be moved around and text blocks can now also be dropped underneath it.
3. Advanced Search Filters
Top Tip: Type Ctrl+H on the Dashboard to see the cheat sheet of all your search options:
4. Setting subscriber language, new language merge tags
In response to user feedback, MailChimp have added the ability to manually override and set a member’s language. Go to a member’s profile, and then you’ll see their Language settings in the side column:
There’s also a feature in MailChimp that auto-detects when your subscriber’s browser is set to a default language, enabling you to send targeted campaigns by language (click here for details).
New Language Merge Tags:
MC_LANGUAGE – used to dynamically change content based on language
MC_LANGUAGE_LABEL – a way to display the current language setting for each recipient
5. Other new features:
- Added an extra $category parameter in FEEDITEMS merge tags
- API timestamps – MailChimp have added GMT notation to existing times displayed with the ability to also hover and see the time in Account default
- Mobile Tab/options – these will now appear in User-Uploaded Templates when applicable with a “mobile” icon/badge also
- API error codes – greater visibility in user accounts so that you can now hover over the error code to see an explanation
- PHP date formatting can now be added to *|RSSITEM:DATE|* and merge tags
- “Back” and “Next” buttons – MailChimp recently removed these from the bottom navigation in the Campaign creation section which proved to be a very unpopular move. They have listened to the feedback and now added this feature back
- Relabelled the “greater than/less than” options when segmenting by custom date field – this will now show “is after” or “is before” instead
- Updated “sent” activity in subscriber profiles to include campaign type, A/B Split + Autoresponder campaigns, A/B Split group, RSS parent campaign info, multiple auto-sends if MailChimp have them, note about 100 more recent events
You might also like these articles:
- A/B Split Testing – Does it Help Email Marketing – MailChimp Guest Post (yoursocialmediator.wordpress.com)
- 6 Quality MailChimp Plugins for WordPress (wpjedi.com)
- Upgrades Going Live This Week (v7.9) (mailchimp.com)
- Email Subject Lines That Work: The Secret Sauce (amsterdamprinting.com)
- The Story Behind the MailChimp Billboards (mailchimp.com)
- Campaign Searching, More Drag and Drop Love, Improved Session Handling (mailchimp.com)